Tuesday 6 April 2010

Introduction


To continue: This should have been at the very beginning of all the posts :

(The words in italics are illustrated with a photograph)


Introduction


The study of history has as its aim the peculiarity, the uniqueness of events. Of course this can never be complete.

I have lived closely with a full-length portrait of “The Lady in Black”. I think I have understood what the painter, whoever he was, was about.

I have distinguished “architectonics” and “secrets”. As an architectonic I discerned in the main column a serpent and doves’ wings. I recalled our Lord’s statement, “Be as wise as serpents and as innocent as doves”.

Among the “secrets”, I discovered a sheep and a wolf in more than one way. After I had done this, I looked up St.Matthews’ text again (Ch.10), to find that the Lord was sending out his disciples “like sheep among wolves”, therefore they should be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

This discovery confirmed not only what I had been doing but that I had got hold of a source which had inspired the painter in his picture of “The Lady in Black”.

No comments:

Post a Comment