Saturday 6 March 2010

Part 11: The shade and the light

The background of the picture is full of full daylight, which I am assuming represents the light of intellect and what it can attain. I see the far right column as representing this attainment, but I have just noticed that it has a shadow side which turns away, as it were, from the pillar of truth. So the pillar if truth is confronted, as it were, by the best of rational attainment.
Meantime, the pillar of truth falls into near blackness as it faces the pillar of rational attainment. This contrast accentuates the problem facing Christendom. I do not know whether this is just a happy accident or whether intended by the artist. It does though remind me of dear Pio Nono, a nineteenth century Pope, who said "L'Eglise - c'est moi". There is loveableness here for those on his side but a decided darkness, an incapacity to communicate for anyone who is not in communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment